Monday, May 14, 2012

Hilltop Mansion

A friend from my early childhood became a minister when he grew up.  We got connected on Facebook and every so often I read his posts. Today he posted the whole hymn/spiritual "Mansion Over the Hilltop."   I love to hear my wife sing that song in church because it is a beautiful, catchy song.  The church sings it with a faster upbeat than other versions I've heard and standing next to my wife, one of the most talented singers I have ever heard, makes it all the better.

I like the song until I think about what it's saying.  For those that don't know the song, here it is with the repeats of the chorus removed.

I'm satisfied with just a cottage below, a little silver and a little gold. But in that city where the ransomed will shine, I want a gold one that's silver lined.

I've got a mansion just over the hilltop, in that bright land where we'll never grow old. And someday yonder We will never more wander, But walk on streets that are purest gold.

Tho often tempted, tormented and tested, and like the prophet, my pillow a stone. And tho I find here no permanent dwelling, I know He'll give me a mansion my own.

Don't think me poor or deserted or lonely; I'm not discouraged, I'm heaven bound. I'm just a pilgrim in search of that city; I want a mansion, a harp, and a crown.


The song tells us not to worry about this life because the life after is what is important.  Heaven is where our riches are and if we suffer and endure in this life, our wants for riches will be our reward.

How can a song with that message ever be sung in a Christian church?  Greed is okay in Heaven but not here?  Lusting for material possessions in this life is wrong but lusting for them in Heaven is right?

I am reading Rob Bell's Love Wins right now.   I like his perspective to say the least.   Focus on making the life you are living now right.  Make this life your Heaven.

Imagine what the world be if all the Christians in all the countries quit focusing on the reward of Heaven in an afterlife and started making this their Heaven. What if 'love your neighbor' was more than a catch phrase?  What if "WWJD" was more than a great way to sell T-shirts and wrist bands?  What if the compassion Jesus talked about was the driving force of our life instead of enduring this life until our afterlife reward is granted to us?

And, if there really is a mansion waiting for us in Heaven, I think God is more likely to bestow that blessing on the ones who spent their time in this lowly life making a positive difference than the one only doing what they have to to get a reward.

No comments:

Post a Comment